Mauritius is an island situated Just north of the Tropic of Capricorn in
Latitude 20° south and longitude 57° 35’ east of Greenwich. Africa being the
neared continent. Mombassa is some 1800 kilometers away. Mauritius is a volcanic
island about 10 million years old – only 865 square kilometers in area. The
coastline of 330 kilometers is almost entirely surrounded by one of the largest
unbroken coral reefs in the world.
are some links regarding different sectors in Mauritius
- Air Mauritius
- The site map is the
easiest way to find information. Has tours,
their helicopters, their
offices worldwide, etc. See also their
- Bank of Mauritius
- The central bank (like the Federal Reserve) for Mauritius. Has the full
text of their Monthly
report, the Year 2000 Project at the Bank of Mauritius, etc.
- Cane Planters and Millers
Arbitration & Control Board
- "Its main functions are to arbitrate disputes between planters and
millers, to control the milling and weighing of canes and to determine the
quantity of sugar and by products accruing to planters and millers." http://ncb.intnet.mu/acb.htm
Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie de Maurice
- COMESA, Common Market for Eastern and
- "COMESA [formerly the PTA] ...an organisation of free independent
sovereign states which have agreed to co-operate in developing their natural
and human resources...'. With its 19 member states and population of 300
million it forms a major integrated trading block." Has information on
customs tariffs, road/transport including road distances, economic profile,
etc. Has the text of Doing Business with COMESA: the Handbook,
legal guides to establishing business, etc. http://www.comesa.int/
- The Commonwealth On-line
- Has a Mauritius page
with information on the Flag, National Anthem, Geography, Society,
Communications, Transport, Macro-Economics, Physical Economy, Traveller
Information, History, Legal System, Constitutional Structure, Recent events.
Has full text pages from the print reference,
From Hanson Cooke Ltd., London.
- Government on the
Internet - Mauritius government sites.
- directory of sites, loads faster than Mauritian Web Links.
Mauritian Web Links
- huge directory of all
sites from Mauritius. Takes a while to load.
- From the publication, Ethnologue: Languages of the World, 13th ed.
(Dallas, Tx.: Summer Institute of Linguistics, 1996), edited by Barbara F.
Grimes. Provides numbers of speakers by language, dialects, linguistic
- Global Road Warrior
- Useful information for the business traveler or tourist to
Has a section on using modems and appliances. Based on the
reference book of the same name published by World Trade Press, Novato,
- Info Mauritius.com
- Commercial directory.
International Trade Centre. Executive Forum
- It's 1999 Executive Forum had a case study (in English, French, Spanish)
on Mauritius' approach to national export strategy,
"Mauritius, a Coordinated Approach Based on Institutional Specialization." The
text is in Adobe PDF format. The ITC
Centre UNCTAD/WTO (ITC) is "the focal point in the United Nations system for
technical cooperation with developing countries in trade promotion." [KF]
- Jensen, Mike -
Internet Connectivity in Mauritius
- Excellent information on internet service and
telecommunications in Mauritius.
See also the main page,
- Library of
Congress Country/Area Studies Handbook - Mauritius, a Country Study
- Has the full-text of the Army Area Handbook long used as basic reference
sources. Information on the history, society, economy, politics, national
security. One can search
across all countries or any combination of countries and browse the table
of contents for a specific country.
- Maurice Contact
- Centre SYFED REFER Maurice, Université de Maurice, Réduit, Ile Maurice
- Academic site with information on Mauritius education, research, a
directory of the
press, radio, and TV, culture (Black
River Gorges National Park), the economy, foreign relations, etc.
- Mauritius Business and Info
- Directory of businesses, government organizations, professionals,
magazines, newspapers, sport associations, libraries, schools, doctors,
hospitals, hotels, recipes,
charities, real estate, etc. Based in Perth, Australia.
- Mauritius. Central
- Has the full text of Mauritius in Figures with
important statistics, a list of its census reports and other publications.
- Official site. Links to all ministries, a
brief history, full text
government reports, latest
and past Cabinet decisions, latest
- Mauritius. Government
- Includes the Mauritius
Newsletter in Adobe .pdf format.
- Mauritius Island
- Embassies directory
and visa requirements, business, centre, travel, tour, hotel information,
maps. Maintained by
CompNet Solutions & Services (Maryland, U.S.).
- Mauritius Labour
Party (Port Louis)
- Mauritius political party founded in 1936. Is a member of the
- Mauritius. Ministry for Civil
Service Affairs & Administrative Reform
- Mauritius. Ministry of
Defence and Home Affairs
- Mauritius. Ministry of
Economic Development, Productivity, and Regional Development
- Mauritius. Ministry of Finance
- Has the full text of budget speeches, annual report of the
Accountant-General, white papers, acts, etc.
- Mauritius. Ministry of Women,
Family Welfare & Child Development
Newsletter (Port Louis)
- Port Louis, Mauritius : Ministry of Information.
Published twice a month. Full text of the latest issue is online.
- Mauritius Online Business
- Business directory. Information from Net Space (Mauritius).
- Mauritius. Prime Minister's
- Has speeches, cabinet decisions, recording of the
Mauritius Sugar Industry Research Institute
- Mauritius Tourism Promotion
- Provides visa requirements, useful addresses and phone nos., basic
information on the country, tours, places to visit, etc. They will answer
travel related questions.
- Mauritius Wildlife
- "... the only non-governmental organisation in Mauritius to be exclusively
concerned with the conservation of endemic species." On a site hosted by
CompNet Solutions & Services (Maryland, U.S.).
- Basic country information, a map, brief information on its energy sources
and consumption.. By MBendi Information Services (Pty) Ltd. a business
consulting company in Claremont, South Africa.
- National Computer Board
- A parastatal created to "promote the accelerated diffusion of information
technology" in Mauritius. Hosting for government web sites,
Government on the Internet.
Has information on IT issues and companies, a
- National Strategies for Sustainable
- Has the full text of Bass S.M.J. and Dalal-Clayton D.B. (1995):
States and Sustainable
Development: Strategic Issues and Experience, (Environmental Planning
International Institute for Environment and Development, London. "focuses on
the ecological, economic and social factors which typify small island
states, and lead to their vulnerabilities." Includes case studies of recent
island strategies in Mauritius, the Seychelles, the Caribbean, St
Helena and the Solomon Islands. "the goal of the project is to encourage the
implementation of nssds in all countries by 2005, so as to ensure that current
trends in the loss of environmental resources are effectively reversed at both
global and national levels by 2015.
- Official SADC Trade, Industry &
Investment Review 1999
- Includes a country profile on Mauritius. Covers the economy, environment,
labor, culture, tourism, trade fairs. Published by Southern African Marketing
Company Ltd (Gaborone, Botswana) in assoc. with the SADC Secretariat.
- Population Index on
- Retrieve citations to articles, book chapters, books,
government documents, dissertations through a keyword search. The online
database covers all issues of Population Index from 1986+ (Vols. 52+)
and a broad range of subjects: women's issues, fertility, migration, child
mortality, economic development and population, nutrition and health, urban
and rural spatial distribution, statistics. The Index is published by
Princeton University's Office of Population Research.
- Public Relations Office of the Sugar
Industry - Mauritius (PROSI)
- In French and English. Has the full text of
Sugar in Mauritius,
(5th Edition published May 1997, includes a history), has full text articles
from its PROSI Magazine,
information on the Joint Economic
Council, etc. Hosts the Public
Relations Association (Mauritius) web site.
from Mauritius - Madeleine Philippe
- In English. Recipes with photos. Has a mailing list for
new recipes and tips on Mauritian cooking.
- Stock Exchange of Mauritius
- In English and French. A subsidiary of Mauritius Telecom and France
Telecom. Provides internet, fax, phone service, distance learning,
tourism information, etc.
- Site to oppose corruption. Affiliated with Transparency
International. See the Press Releases for Mauritius specific content.
- Travel Document
Systems - Mauritius Page
- A visa/passport expediting service for U.S. citizens. One can print out a
visa application form in Acrobat or Common Ground format. Uses the CIA World
Factbook information though did not have the latest edition.
- UNEVOC, International Project
on Technical and Vocational Education
- UNEVOC is "UNESCO's International Project on Technical and Vocational
Education...dedicated to developing and improving technical and vocational
education in UNESCO's Member States." Has a
UNEVOC's African centres for technical and vocational education and
full text reports such as "Polytechnic
Education in Mauritius" by K. A. Kasenally (May 2000).
Kingdom. Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Travel information for Mauritius.
- U.S. Department of State. Report on Human Rights Practices -
- U.S. Dept. of
State. Travel Warning - Mauritius
- Travel Warnings
Bureau of Consular Affairs:
- United States. Embassy.
- United States Information Service.
- Has a full text guide on doing business in Mauritius, investment
opportunities, links to Mauritius websites of interest to business people,
Mauritius and U.S. holidays,
facts about Mauritius, USIS
Port Louis newsletter on its
- United States.
National Weather Service - Mauritius
- Has weather for Plaisance. Provides information for wind, visibility,
temperature, heat index, dew point, relative humidity, pressure, and a 24 hour
- University of
- Includes the University's
faculty, courses, university history, student organizations, etc.
- World Wildlife Fund
- Locate information on African countries and topics thru their
- The internet edition of the daily print newspaper has
selected articles online and past issues.
Le Mauricien (Port Louis)
- Selections from the daily independent print newspaper. In French and
English. Also publishes
(in French) on horse racing.
- Mauritius News
- Monthly newspaper founded in 1983 for the Mauritian community in the
- News on Sunday
- Online edition of the print newspaper.
- Le Quotidien (Port
- Online edition of the daily print newspaper. Not as up to date as other
online Mauritian papers.
- "information on the business, economy, government and
tourism in the Republic of Mauritius." Includes offshore finance, the story of
the dodo bird.