Old Pictures of Port Louis - 1  

Most of the pictures on this page date from around 1890 to 1920. They are part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives in the United Kingdom and are free to be shared within the spirit of the Commons. They carry no known copyright restrictions and are available on the site "MAURITIUS - an album on Flickr" at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalarchives/sets/72157632888290224.
 

View of Port Louis Harbour from Signal Mountain

The Government House.
The statue of Queen Victoria is not yet found here.

Landing place and wharf with view of Oriental Hotel and Surroundings.
Nowadays the place is known as the Port Louis Waterfront.

Chaussée Street in 1890

Oriental Bank at the Place d'Armes and Chaussée Street

The St Louis Roman Catholic church (The Cathedral)

The Cathedral Square in 1909

The Port Louis theatre and the statue of Sir John Pophennessy

The Port Louis theatre

The Central Market in 1938

The Civil Hospital in 1890.
Originally it was the Royal College of Port Louis

Champ de Mars racecourse and Citadel

Race meeting day in 1907

The Town Hall (Municipality) of Port Louis in 1952

The Town Hall (Municipality) of Port Louis in 1965

The Grand River North West suspension bridge (1880-1899)

The Grand River North West bridge

Queen Victoria's reign celebration - Unveiling of statue

Front view of Central Railway Station
The statue of Queen Victoria has now been removed from the above place and erected at the Government House but the place is still known as Victoria Square and is the terminus of south-bound bus lines.

Custom House and wharf

Plying Boats Station

Port Office, wharf and offices Hangar du Port

Construction of Quay D back wall 10 ft deep and 7 ft 6 in wide

Harbour improvement in progress. Some of the piles up to 40 ft long. New steam 50-ft pile driver and the tug Maurice.
June 2014

Home Page
pages.intnet.mu/fullspot/Index.htm
E-mail